Posts from — August 2009
Recently, I started working on a new project with Joseph Curtin. We are testing methods for controlling bridge mobility, experimenting with newer manufacturing techniques, and exploring the effect of a lighter bridge on the instruments’ frequency response. Photographed below are laser-cut blanks for two experimental bridge designs.
August 14, 2009 8 Comments
This design needs a lot of work before it is complete. Nevertheless, I wanted to post an update of my progress. Three weeks ago I milled out this plastic prototype. It will help me to physically work through some of the design challenges concerning the shoulder/neck rests, back, and neck assembly.
P.S. It should also be noted that I am no longer posting to alexsobolev.blogger.com. If you have bookmarks or RSS feeds for that address, please update them to stay informed with what I am doing. I also encourage you to follow me using Google Friend Connect (it’s that box with all of the avatars in the right column).
August 10, 2009 1 Comment
A few summers ago I made a banjo neck and never found the time to build a rim (the part that holds the drum head) or a resonator (the curved part in the back) for it. Last month I decided to finish that banjo! Having had little interest in bending and laminating wood to create a rim, I decided to build a large mandolin body for this instrument. This solution also gave me a chance to practice tap tuning the soundboard and back.
The first three images below illustrate my 3D Rhino model of the instrument’s body. The series continues with images of the milling process for the top and back plates, inlay of the purfling, and finished inlay on the back. There is still plenty of work to be done, so ignore the roughness around the edges.
August 4, 2009 2 Comments